Probably you don’t have the budget to hire an experienced web designer for your small business site, or maybe, you just want to build the portal without any immediate help. Regardless of the motive, it is important to start right. In this post, we are discussing critical tips that can help to build website for your company.
- Always choose a good domain name. A domain name should be easy to remember, short and crisp. It is hard to find a five-letter domain these days, so you need to compromise on the name in some cases, but it’s important to ensure that the domain is super easy to type and pronounce. GoDaddy or BlueHost can help with domain registration.
- Find a reliable hosting provider. For generic and small business websites, you don’t need a dedicated hosting plan immediate, but shared hosting should be provided by a reliable host. BlueHost has some basic plans for beginners, while HostGator is also a great choice. The host should be accessible on phone at all times.
- WordPress is ideal for CMS. Talking of Content Management System or CMS, there are quite a few choices, such as Drupal and Joomla. However, for basic business websites and blogs, it is hard to beat WordPress. WordPress is not only super easy to manage and understand, but it also simplifies the task of maintaining a website.
- Get the right plug-ins. To ensure that the website has necessary functionalities, the plug-in is of utmost importance. In case of WordPress, you will find easy and free plug-ins for social media, email subscription, SEO, and galleries. Make sure that the plug-ins are updated.
- Selecting the theme. Finally, you need a theme or template for your website, and based on the service you choose, this can be free or paid. For an initial start, you don’t necessarily need a paid plug-in or theme, so try what’s available for quick use. If the website performs well later, you can always get a developer and customize things as per new requirements.
Finally, don’t forget to check online for guides. There are some really useful guides online, which also have screenshots, so you can actually keep a tab on the entire process as how to set up the domain, hosting and other things. Some hosting providers are dedicated WordPress plans, which allow you to install WordPress in one click, which is a great option if you are not that tech-savvy.